Re: Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

From: "Ralf Corsepius" <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi

>>  It will just get lost in the list noise.
>> >>
>Well, RH could have somebody monitoring this list on a professional
>basis and communicate the issues reported here to their management.

This list is mostly noise at the management level.
Didn't you read what I wrote?

I said: Pay somebody for reading this list and filter the noise into
reports to the management.

Would you rather waste money on that critter, who'd go insane within
two months, or on another bug fighting developer? Seems to me you may
have just volunteered yourself to right up weekly summary reports to
feed to the developers? {^_-}

Such are report would then contain: "There is a strong demand to extend
the life time of Fedora releases".

So appear on the devel list and report that point.

BTW: I do agree on this topic - FC(current+1)t2 is too early to
discontinue FC(current-1). FC(current+1) + 1 month would be better.

I can see Rahul's standpoint on the problem. The weeks before release
are hectic. However, there is something to be said for making the
change after release. Test 2 should be good enough that the amount of
changes for release would be small. So the work load may not be so high
that this time could be used to bring the Legacy crew onboard for the
maintenance effort. That would allow a smooth transition to legacy. This
would create smaller "bumps" for people who have critical systems that
are working and they do not want to mess with except for extraordinary
purposes - heavy security fixes.

Of course, John is worried about the transition from 3 to 4 being a
problem followed by the transition from 4 to 5 being a problem. I wonder
if the transition from 3 to 5 might not be an even bigger problem
than the two stage transition. The level of change would be smaller so
he could settle in his adaptations to the 3 to 4 changes over time
while 5 matures a little. Then he can switch to five as six emerges.
That might be better than waiting until he can make a double jump
about the time support ends for 3 on his new proposed schedule. Then
if he has transition problems he has to beat them to death with no
means of not going forward, if he is unwilling to use legacy support.
It almost looks like John has built himself a nicely bricked up
chimney with himself inside rather than outside. He has no good way
out of his setup given the number of things he's not willing to do.

{^_^}