Re: Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 00:56, John Summerfied wrote:

Jo and I (and a lot of others) switched from RH back when RH announced its changed arrangements, and the commencement of the Fedora project because neither RH not FC provided what we wanted.

We've dabbled in others including Debian, Ubuntu, SUSE, Mandrake/Mandribble and some others.

I currently run Debian/Woody, Debian/Sarge, Ubuntu, FC3, SUSE 10 and WBEL, so I know what the major alternatives are,

If you want a free long-supported, very-much-FC3-like distribution,
look at Centos4.x.  The only substantial difference is having
mysql 4.x and dropping some kernel modules (which an optional
kernel rebuild adds back).

I am using WBEL on my server, where longevity is important.

I'd not use FC (haven't you seen me describe it as a rolling beta?) on anything _that_ important.

I don't have a particular attachment to FC3, it just happens to be the one that's been retired right now. I didn't use prior FCs and so wasn't affected when they retired.

Retirement plans for other software are based on some period of time _after_ the release of a subsequent (eg second, third) release, not _before_.

The current policy of retiring an FC release immediately _before_ the release of the second subsequent release seems completely bizarre to me.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait