Re: Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 15:34, John Summerfied wrote:

The current policy of retiring an FC release immediately _before_ the release of the second subsequent release seems completely bizarre to me.

It is really in no one's best interest to have developers wasting
their time backporting fixes and updates into an old distribution.

If Rahul is right there aren't any, so the workload won't be great. If he's wrong (as I expect) there won't be many, and still thr workload's not great.

If you want updates, everyone is better off if you move on to the
next version, and a policy that encourages this makes a lot of
sense.  In theory, FC4 should be very well tested and reliable by
now and FC5 should be usable if you don't mind a surprise or two.

I'm content to move to FC5, but it's not even released yet, and that is the point of the argument.

It is also next to no trouble to update your yum configuration
to pull from the legacy repository (much less than complaining
about it...).  My only concern in this issue is for the large

If FP listens, then it can solve the problem for a lot more than one person for a lot more (we hope) than one release.

Any time anyone makes any changes to any file, there is some likelihood of getting it wrong, and if a hundred people make changes to their own copies, then its almost certain that someone will do exactly that.

number of machines whose administrators don't watch the mail list
and won't be aware of the need to change.  When the next security
problem and fix come around they won't get the fix even if they
continue to run their updates.

There is that too.

--

Cheers