Re: Don't Waste Time on Fedora Mailing List Archive Searches - Search Engine Broken

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 19:53:40 PM -0500, Mark Weaver
(mdw1982@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> >(**) ... and a lot of people can still access the Internet only by
> >pay-per-minute or pay-per-byte dialup. And even more should soon find
> >themselves in the same boat with mobile access, just on a much smaller
> >screen. It would be interesting to calculate how much MONEY those
> >users are forced to spend by behavior like yours, but this is another
> >story.
> >

> point taken.

But you still re-posted the whole message...

> Although its starting to sound as though the search engine being
> used for the fedora core archives is quite deficient and posts are
> not very well indexed at all.

Is it a custom one, or are they using some existing 3rd party product?
If you are going to research this, it would be useful to involve the
actual developers.

> However, that being said what I "can" do is create a searchable
> index of the archive files remotely and make it available to the
> list members to test my theory.

Yes, this would really be interesting. Thanks,

Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a
vacuum.                                        -- Arthur C. Clarke