Re: Don't Waste Time on Fedora Mailing List Archive Searches - Search Engine Broken

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 13:55:57 PM -0500, Mark Weaver
(mdw1982@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> actually, its been my experience and also my personal opinion that to
> include rather than trim previous bits from previous posts adds more
> weight and makes things easier to find with "good" search utilities

Correct, I know that. This is not the case with the search engine of
the current archives, but certainly is with Google. However:

0) "I can make a mess because somebody else will surely clean up"???

> by virtue of the fact that there are simply "more" keywords to
> search on.

1) "More" is relative. If there is one complete description out of 1 MB
   of archive or ten copies of it in 10 MB the search result is just as
   good. But happens _faster_.

2) The time wasted manually scrolling web pages or the original
   messages into an inbox, to search where the one line of new
   information may be, remains. That is not a personal preference, is
   a fact. And, in my experience, is quite more than the time waiting
   for Google to find the initial point. Sorry, my fault to not have
   specified before that I also thought to manual search of the
   relevant parts,  _after_ some search engine made a result list.

Yes, of course this behavior on lists makes me grumpy. That's why
I posted :-). Because one or two extra seconds when posting can save a
*lot* of time to everybody who will need that message in the future
(**).

  Ciao,
	Marco

(**) ... and a lot of people can still access the Internet only by
pay-per-minute or pay-per-byte dialup. And even more should soon find
themselves in the same boat with mobile access, just on a much smaller
screen. It would be interesting to calculate how much MONEY those
users are forced to spend by behavior like yours, but this is another
story.

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

May your campfire always burn bright