Re: Don't Waste Time on Fedora Mailing List Archive Searches - Search Engine Broken

M. Fioretti wrote:
On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 09:37:08 AM -0500, Mark Weaver
(mdw1982@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

heh! obviously they're not using Swish-e, or if they are its
definitely not indexing the archives correctly.

Of course, the fact that you and David (**) keep bloating the
archives, posting and posting again the same whole message just to add
two or three lines every time, doesn't help the indexer, does it?

Ciao,
	Marco

(**) like many other posters do in other threads, of course. This was
just funnier because its subject is exactly the inability of the
archives to provide useful results with simple searches...

actually, its been my experience and also my personal opinion that to include rather than trim previous bits from previous posts adds more weight and makes things easier to find with "good" search utilities simply by virtue of the fact that there are simply "more" keywords to search on. This one fact makes it more likely that the search-er will find what they're looking for.

The only argument I've ever heard to the contrary are those made by folks who simply don't "want" the added text in the followup post and attempt to disguise this by saying it makes things harder to find. _That_ is a personal preference on the part of the arguer and not beneficial in any way to indexes or searchers. That doesn't mean your reasons aren't valid, it just means they're your reasons and actually germain to the subject.

Also, including previous posts as part of the response post makes it far easier to follow the context of the thread all in one place as long as care is taken not to go any deeper than 4-5 posts; after that, I believe, the benefit rapidly diminishes.

Apart from all that I think you're just being grumpy! ;)

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996