Re: OT: Worth learning python?

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:36:07 -0500, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 03:00:28PM +0000, dave irving wrote:
> > Im going to want to be writing a few simple apps to use my bluetooth
> > stuff: Im mainly a Java / c++ programmer (and know a little perl) -
> > but going forward with Linux is there a good argument for learning
> > Python too? If so I might order myself a book!!
>
> Python is a good language (although like just about everything, it has its
> pros and cons). I highly recommend "The Quick Python Book" from Manning
> Publications <http://www.manning.com/harms> as an intro text, plus the
> online stuff at python.org for reference. The O'Reilly Python books are
> okay, but disappointing compared to, say, the Perl books. (The Python
> Cookbook in particular isn't up to the standard set by the Perl Cookbook.)
>
> Unfortunately, The Quick Python Book is somewhat out of date -- six years
> old -- and I'm not sure an updated version is in the works. (I recommend
> e-mailing the publisher to ask for one!) That means it doesn't even cover
> python 2. However, it's still an excellent learning book -- very well
> written and organized. And the core features and basic data structures the
> book covers are still relevant.

Hi,

I have been considering learning Python for a while now, and this
thread has really inspired me to go after it. I wonder if anyone could
also suggest some good online resources as well as books apart from
what has already been suggested.

I've seen that python.org has a "begginers guide"  and "Python Intro"
in the docs section. Any  opinions about them?

thanks,

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680
If at first you don't succeed...
                              ...skydiving is not for you.