Re: Slow GUI with Evolution (and only with Evolution)

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 09:36, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >This is particularly true if you are trying to run every message
> > through spamassassin.   I still use a filter to run spamassassin,
> > not the built in version.  This allows me to filter things such as
> > mailing lists and such prior to invoking spamassassin so only a
> > small percentage of my email incurs the cost of running
> > spamassassin on it.
> >
> >And I don't use any of the network checks.  Just bayes and selected
> > rule sets.
>
> And where would one go to edit the file that controls this in a kde
> environment Scot?  I'd like to see if I can speed it up, and reduce
> its penchant for grabbing every cpu cycle it can get.  With a mail
> fetch run every 15 minutes, this machine spends 20% of its time with
> the keyboard very effectively locked out.  This didn't happen till I
> started using sa with kmail.

Have not used kmail so you will need to provide some info.

But in general the way I set this up on my main box for email was as a
filter in evolution.  I know the newer version of evolution has
spamassassin built in but it does not sound like it provides the level
of control I have been using for the year or two.

On to the questions:

How do you currently invoke spamassassin using kmail?

Does kmail fiters allow you to stop processing if a filter is used?

Does kmail use filters to invoke spamassassin and return a code that
tells you if the message is spam or not?

Assuming for the moment that this is true then you can set it up very
similar to what I have done.

Setup a filter that calls spamassassin and if it returns the code saying
it is spam move the message to a spam folder.

Configure additional filter rules that move mailing list messages to
your mailing list folder and insert the stop processing command on that
filter.

Make sure the mailing list filters are above the spamassassin filter.

So now what happens is most of your email (assuming mailing lists make
up most of your mail) get handled but don't have spam checking done.  I
have found very little if any spam in the mailing lists.  So this is not
a problem.

The spamassassin filter only runs on messages that are most likely to be
spam so your resources are not over whelmed trying to process 800
messages a day from the list.

You can control the network checks via the user_prefs file or via the
system wide local.cf file.  Personally have a good bayes database seems
to be the best spam detection.  You may also want to install a few (not
all) of the rule sets from http://www.rulesemporium.com they have some
very good rules sets that target specific types of spam.  I have used
several of their rules sets to increase scoring on spam which makes it
easier to differentiate legit email from the spam.

These are easily included on your system just follow the documentation.
If you have problems let me know.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx