Re: Slow GUI with Evolution (and only with Evolution)

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 07:33, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 07:15 -0500, Bob Chiodini wrote:
>
> > How often is evolution set to check for new mail?  I've observed that
> > evolution is painfully slow whenever it's doing its new mail check.  In
> > my case it's looking at two IMAP accounts and one Exchange account.
>
> The painful slowness is caused by the spam filtering, in particular the
> "Include remote tests" option. Go to:
>
> Tools -> Settings -> Mail Preferences -> Junk
>
> and try disabling "Include remote tests" and see if that helps. If it is
> still too slow then try tweaking your spamassassin setup further. If
> it's still too slow disable spam filtering altogether and look into
> server side solutions. The slowness is caused by spamassassin, not
> evolution.

This is particularly true if you are trying to run every message through
spamassassin.   I still use a filter to run spamassassin, not the built
in version.  This allows me to filter things such as mailing lists and
such prior to invoking spamassassin so only a small percentage of my
email incurs the cost of running spamassassin on it.

And I don't use any of the network checks.  Just bayes and selected rule
sets.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Bipolar, adj.:
	Refers to someone who has homes in Nome, Alaska, and Buffalo, New York.