Re: Slow GUI with Evolution (and only with Evolution)

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 09:27, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 07:33, D. D. Brierton wrote:
>> On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 07:15 -0500, Bob Chiodini wrote:
>> > How often is evolution set to check for new mail?  I've observed
>> > that evolution is painfully slow whenever it's doing its new
>> > mail check.  In my case it's looking at two IMAP accounts and
>> > one Exchange account.
>>
>> The painful slowness is caused by the spam filtering, in
>> particular the "Include remote tests" option. Go to:
>>
>> Tools -> Settings -> Mail Preferences -> Junk
>>
>> and try disabling "Include remote tests" and see if that helps. If
>> it is still too slow then try tweaking your spamassassin setup
>> further. If it's still too slow disable spam filtering altogether
>> and look into server side solutions. The slowness is caused by
>> spamassassin, not evolution.
>
>This is particularly true if you are trying to run every message
> through spamassassin.   I still use a filter to run spamassassin,
> not the built in version.  This allows me to filter things such as
> mailing lists and such prior to invoking spamassassin so only a
> small percentage of my email incurs the cost of running
> spamassassin on it.
>
>And I don't use any of the network checks.  Just bayes and selected
> rule sets.

And where would one go to edit the file that controls this in a kde
environment Scot?  I'd like to see if I can speed it up, and reduce
its penchant for grabbing every cpu cycle it can get.  With a mail
fetch run every 15 minutes, this machine spends 20% of its time with
the keyboard very effectively locked out.  This didn't happen till I
started using sa with kmail.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)