Re: Why no /proc/config.gz on FC-3 kernel?

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 01:33:18AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:

 > > If someone is building their own kernel, they should know what they're doing.
 > > Folks building their own kernels get to turn on /proc/config.gz for themselves
 > > anyway if they really want it. This discussion is about the packaging of
 > > the kernel RPMs used by those who don't recompile.
 >
 > I'm thinking of a situation where there's more than one person involved,
 > which often happens in real world sysadmin catastrop^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
 > experience. Someone who doesn't really know the rules rebuilds the kernel to
 > fix some "urgent problem", doesn't turn that on, doesn't make a new name (or
 > even goes out of their way to match the RPM packages name, for some reason
 > that seems like a good idea at the time).

The best fix for problems like these is with a cluebat, and revocation
of root priveledges from someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

I'm not enabling config options just to 'moron-proof' the kernel.
The problem with that is people keep inventing better morons, and
there's only so much hand-holding one can do.

		Dave