Re: Windows Media players

Douglas Furlong wrote:
I don't want to offer comparisons to Redmond, but, in this
area, they do offer a dialogue asking whether I want to play media files from within Internet Explorer, or play them in their own window - I'm wondering if there is such a similar setting that can be invoked from within Mozilla?

By the sounds of it, you do not really want an embedded movie player (I.E. a mozilla plugin). May I suggest removing the plugin (by RPM if that's how you installed it, if not follow my tips above), and then, when you click on the link it will ask you what you want to do with the file (in most cases), and you can tell it you wish to open it in an application of your choice.

Or save it to disk, and open it separately.

Saving to disk is not really an option, as I'm checking files that are 3 hours in length, and saving is not necessary for what I need to do, which is fast verification that files are present, and playable (this is related to my work). I hadn't really thought about the difference between plugin and play-in-own-window -- now that you mention it, it's obvious. At one point, I did get to that option in this process, but I couldn't figure out how to specify mplayer or kplayer, or Kaffeine, or whatever. Typing the program name in the dialogue gave me an unrecognized program response, and when I tried to browse to the program, I couldn't figure out where to find the programs. Thanks for your patience in this matter.

-- Claude Jones Bluemont, VA