Re: Windows Media players

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 00:43 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> Andrew Konosky wrote:
>
> > Claude Jones wrote:

> >> I just looked into Totem. It states that it's a media player for the
> >> Gnome desktop. Will it also work under KDE?
> >>

> > Mplayer should work just fine from an rpm install, but I don't
> > remember if you have to install the codecs seperately or not. I don't
> > think thats necessary with rpms, but it is with a source
> > compile/install. Mplayer was my main media player, then I installed
> > Xine and was impressed with it, so I use it as default now. I would
> > recommend Xine for video and XMMS is a good music-jukebox type
> > program. I keep Mplayer because it has mencoder for encoding DVDs to
> > mpeg1/2 or mpeg4. Kplayer is a KDE media player based on mplayer, and
> > it is comparible to XMMS as far as a music jukebox, but all of the
> > above work for me under both gnome and KDE, so you can use them all if
> > you want.
> >

> Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Maybe you or someone will
> have an idea what I did wrong with the mplay install. If I click on a
> Windows Media file from the Mozilla browser window, an Mplayer window
> opens and a message appears that it's buffering along with a progress
> bar -- and that's it. The green progress bar moves left to right, gets
> to almost the end, and then I just get the endless hour glass. The file
> appears to be downloading, but it never streams, or plays after the
> download.
There are a couple of things that can cause this (it's mentioned in
their FAQ, you did read that didn't you? http://mplayerplug-
in.sourceforge.net/faq.php)
Have you installed the additional libraries for playing wmv media? There
also seems to be a problem with playing some wmv files in xine/totem and
possibly mplayer, the thing they appear to have in common is that they
are encoded using variable bit rate.

Hope this provides some help.

--
Douglas Furlong