Re: Windows Media players

Andrew Konosky wrote:

Claude Jones wrote:

Aaron Gaudio wrote:

I was wondering if this is the best (if not only) Windows Media plugin that works with Mozilla?

Have you tried totem (or xine, which totem is based on)?

I just looked into Totem. It states that it's a media player for the Gnome desktop. Will it also work under KDE?

Mplayer should work just fine from an rpm install, but I don't remember if you have to install the codecs seperately or not. I don't think thats necessary with rpms, but it is with a source compile/install. Mplayer was my main media player, then I installed Xine and was impressed with it, so I use it as default now. I would recommend Xine for video and XMMS is a good music-jukebox type program. I keep Mplayer because it has mencoder for encoding DVDs to mpeg1/2 or mpeg4. Kplayer is a KDE media player based on mplayer, and it is comparible to XMMS as far as a music jukebox, but all of the above work for me under both gnome and KDE, so you can use them all if you want.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Maybe you or someone will have an idea what I did wrong with the mplay install. If I click on a Windows Media file from the Mozilla browser window, an Mplayer window opens and a message appears that it's buffering along with a progress bar -- and that's it. The green progress bar moves left to right, gets to almost the end, and then I just get the endless hour glass. The file appears to be downloading, but it never streams, or plays after the download.