Re: Windows Media players

Douglas Furlong wrote:

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 09:10 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:

Douglas Furlong wrote:

The reason why it is appearing int he browser window is that I beleive
you have installed the "browser plugin", xine has a similar application
"gxine", which acts in a similar way. This is not always ideal, one way
of working around this is to right click on the image, and the tell it
to save the file, then open it manually, or as your doing already
pasting the URL in to the media player of your choice.

I am hoping, the easiest way of stopping Mozilla (and it's derivatives,
firefox for example), is to remove the "plugin" from it's plugins
directory.

These are fortunately (for flexibility) and unfortunately (bugger to
track them all down), in numerous places. A good rule of thumb however
is to look in the following locations.

/var/lib/browerser-<version>/
/home/<username>/.pheonix/plugins
/home/<username>/.mozilla/plugins

If you remove the file that look appropriate, then when you restart
mozilla I'm hoping it will no longer try to auto run the movies.

the url about:plugins is handy as that tells you which ones are
"registered".

And yes, your help was useful and appreciated.

Glad to hear it, I was not meaning offence by my query about the FAR (I only happened to read that page on friday when cleaning up my bookmarks).

Just to confirm, it IS playing the movies just not quite in the way you
would like?

My attempt at levitas was not intended as a shot across your bow - sorry if it came across that way. To confirm: mplayer is playing movies, and it is listed as the default player in about:plugins for nearly all media files. My only critique of it, now, is that it offers no options when it plays, or none that I've discovered. Clicking on a Windows Media link in my browser window pops up a new full sized window which says that mplayer is buffering the file, and shortly thereafter, the media begins playing as a tiny window in the upper left hand corner of the new full sized browser window. Right clicking on this video doesn't offer any controls, and there don't appear to be any controls added to Mozilla's menus, so I'm stuck with the default settings, positioned as I describe. I don't want to offer comparisons to Redmond, but, in this area, they do offer a dialogue asking whether I want to play media files from within Internet Explorer, or play them in their own window - I'm wondering if there is such a similar setting that can be invoked from within Mozilla?