Re: (newbie) sendmail Masquerading Help?

Am So, den 15.08.2004 schrieb Jorge Luis um 0:30:

>     Alexander> I would like to see what Jorge has in his /etc/hosts
>     Alexander> file, for localhost and satyr.bogus.jl.
>
> Here's my /etc/hosts, in its entirety:
>
> 127.0.0.1 satyr.bogus.jl satyr localhost.localdomain localhost

Well, that is causing problems to Sendmail. It should be:

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain   localhost
your_IP    satyr.bogus.jl     satyr

>     Alexander> That the FQDN couldn't be looked up irritated me
>     Alexander> too. Whether verizon requires a resolvable FQDN for all
>     Alexander> who send mail through their customers MTA (acting as
>     Alexander> smart host) should be pointed out by the support of
>     Alexander> verizon.
>
> If I set MASQUERADE_AS(`localhost') the smarthost will also accept my
> mail for delivery, so it's not necessarily a resolvable FDQN that it
> demands (unless localhost qualifies as a FQDN).  If I don't set
> MASQUERADE_AS to anything, my mail sent from /bin/mail doesn't get
> through.

Well, so the question is cleared about what verizon accepts for
relaying. The masquerade need certainly comes from the false hosts file
entry.

> Remember, though, that mail sent from Evolution or from VM under Emacs
> /is/ accepted, whether or not I have masquerading set, as long as I
> have the client configured with a resolvable "From " email address.
> (Because they set the envelope using sendmail -f, perhaps?)

This is caused by the /etc/hosts file being wrong - I hardly guess that.
Please check that out.

> At any rate, I now have MASQUERADE_AS(`jorge.cc') and everything seems
> to be working.

At least it is a resolvable domain name, though probably not resolving
to your local IP.

>    Jorge

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 01:06:59 up 10 days, 18:34, load average: 0.24, 0.35, 0.43