Re: (newbie) sendmail Masquerading Help?

Am Sa, den 14.08.2004 schrieb Jorge Luis um 19:32:

>     AD> Masquerading for what? verizon.net is hardly your domain.
>
> Perhaps I'm completely off track, and it's not masquerading that I
> need.  The problem is that the smarthost will not accept mail for
> delivery unless I set masquerading.  This may be a perversion of what
> masqerading is meant to accomplish, but it's the only way I've found
> to have /bin/mail send mail through the smarthost.

Seems in your case masquerading is ok as you have a non existing FQDN
for your Sendmail host. See below the debug output of Sendmail.

> With masquerading unset, I get the exact same output, but the message
> bounces immediately with this error:

> <<< 553 satyr.bogus.jl does not exist
> 501 5.6.0 Data format error

That error message makes sense! Not the originally posted. Your host
rejects unresolvable domains, which is a proper setting.

> Am I leaving an open relay or anything by setting masquerading like
> this?  I haven't found how else to get /bin/mail through.

No, there is no risk to be an open relay by this setting.

> Okay, I set masquerading to jorge.cc, and it works fine.  The point
> is, I can't use the smarthost without masquerading to something.

I would suggest you set a domain name by

define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `satyr.bogus.jl')dnl

Make sure this bogus name is locally resolvable! Check your /etc/hosts
file.

> Jorge Luis

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 19:57:17 up 10 days, 13:24, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.06