Re: (newbie) sendmail Masquerading Help?

Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Already ignoring my former comments about butting in, but this thread
has caught my interest because I have gone round and round with this
same problem many times over many installs and changes in sendmai

Jorge posted:

>> <<< 553 satyr.bogus.jl does not exist
>> 501 5.6.0 Data format error

Alexander responded:

> That error message makes sense! Not the originally posted. Your host
> rejects unresolvable domains, which is a proper setting.

I don't think this message is from his HOST.  Its from the Smart host
he is directing his sendmail MTA to at something like:
[smtp/mail].verizon.net.

It is unable to lookup his bogus fqdn.  And unless he masquerades as
an domain that machine knows, it will not let him relay.  Hence his
setting Masquerade_as = verizon.net.  Seems correct to me.

Jorge wrote:

>> Okay, I set masquerading to jorge.cc, and it works fine.  The point
>> is, I can't use the smarthost without masquerading to something.

Now this puzzles me.  It seems to indicate what I said above is wrong.
Maybe it is.  Jorge, is that in your sendmail.cf?  Can you post the
result of:
 `grep -A1 'who I masquerade' /etc/mail/sendmail.cf'