(newbie) sendmail Masquerading Help?

I'm just getting started with Fedora and would like to get some help
from the list with sendmail (v8.12).  I've Googled groups, and gone
through the sendmail docs, without finding--or probably without
recognizing--an answer.

My ISP (Verizon) requires SMTP-AUTH (user/password PLAIN) to connect
to its smarthost.  I have the authorization set up, and I'm trying now
to configure sendmail masquerading.

Currently, mail sent from Evolution is passed to sendmail and then
accepted for delivery by the smarthost, even when I configure my
address to some other (non-Verizon) domain.  Mail sent using
/bin/mail, however, bounces off the smarthost with this error:

Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 553 Authentication is required to send mail as
<jorge@xxxxxxxxxxx>

jorge is my local login, not my login name on the smarthost.  (I have
an AuthInfo line in /etc/mail/access with my smarthost login and
password; it works fine for mail passed in by Evolution.)

How can I set up masquerading so it does what Evolution seems to do by
rewriting the (envelope?) address using sendmail's -f option?  Right
now, I have the following in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

	  MASQUERADE_AS(`verizon.net')dnl
	  FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
	  FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
	  MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost)dnl
	  MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost.localdomain)dnl
	  MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(verizon.net)dnl

I'm new to a lot of this, and I appreciate any help you folks can
provide.

Thank you,

    Jorge

--