Re: XFCE 4

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 15:49, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> After reading this thread, I went and installed the xfce rpms with
> yum, but it crashed as soon as I tried to log on. The error said there
> was an installation problem, so I removed the rpms, downloaded,
> compiled, and installed the CVS on my FC2 system and it works just
> fine for me. Only took about 30 min to compile everything, but it was
> pretty boring since you have to compile about 20 different packages.
> Only ran into one problem when xfcalendar and xffm wouldn't finish the
> configure script because it said I didn't have dbh-1.0, whatever that
> is. I checked, and had the rpm installed, so I uninstalled it then
> reinstalled it again and the xfce packages comiled with no problems.
>
> I am am trying to set it up as an option in the graphical logon menu
> right now, so I don't have to start it via command prompt everytime.
>
> BTW, when logging in via the terminal rather than the graphical login,
> what command specifies the desktop to use, since there is no "session"
> menu? I have KDE as my default, but I am going to use XFCE when doing
> remote desktop connections.

For startup, see the FN article at:

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/diego_figueroa/xfce/

Take note of the two sessions files towards the end that need to be
present, which when done will include xfce in the sessions menu for init
5 starts. These do not get included when building from source.

For init 3 starts for xfce4, use:

startx xfce

or

/usr/local/bin/startxfce4