Re: FC2 and Serial ATA

On August 6, 2004 01:13 pm, netmask <netmask@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > - generally, if you're going to use on-board SATA, don't use IDE too.
>
> I've never had any problem mixing them.. but this was on the 2.4.x line of
> kernels.. I've not had to deal with SATA in 2.6

Which makes your previous post about FC2 and SATA irrelevant because you
haven't used it.

> > 2) Using SATA for storage should work fine. They show up as /dev/hd{e,g}
> > for me, although I've had two installs recently be recognized as
> > /dev/sd{a,b}, which I'm still trying to track down the cause of. Did
> > something change in a recent update?
>
> see previous thread.. after some kernel release they changed from IDE to
> SCSI device driver

No that's not the case. FC2 uses libata primarily for SATA where as FC1 used a
third party drivers that made the drives look like scsi devices.

Note Libata treats some controllers differently. For instance it treats via
and silicon image controllers as IDE controllers and promise SATA raid
controllers as SCSI. As such some drives show up as ide and some as SCSI
depending on which controller they are hooked up to.

--
Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com