Re: connecting to a winxp box

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:34:14 +0200, Aaron <aamehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am writing for my winxp friend.
>I suceeded to set my end up.
>but your directions for setting permissions on his xp box don't fit what
>he sees.
>
>He can't find any dialog box for setting permission.
>
>Boy I wish there was a commond line way for changing users and
>permissions.
>Or how does he set permissions he finds no button and I once had win2k
>but he can't find permission stuff.
>
>Help
>Aaron

if your friend is using XP-Home, he can't set user permissions for shares, but
can set password permissions. If he's using XP-Pro, he can do it either way,
but needs to turn off "simple file sharing".  See
http://www.jsiinc.com/subi/tip4400/rh4487.htm and
http://www.jsiinc.com/subi/tip4300/rh4312.htm

>From the XP command line, type "net help share" to see how to share a
directory.

  e.g., net share music="c:\my music"

Or, from Explorer, right click on a directory, select PROPERTIES, then click
the SHARING tab.
--
   Steve