Re: connecting to a winxp box

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 21:50, Aaron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running FC1 and I need to connect to my friends winxp box.
> I need to download some large files and am trying to avoid placing the
> files on a remote server first.
>
> Thanks
> Aaron

There are a few methods of doing this:
First install samba server or start the smb service from terminal as
follows
su -
password: xxxxxx
service smb start
chkconfig smb on
Second if you are useing static ips find out what the ip is of the
windows box the add an entry to the bottom of the /etc/hosts file
eg:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx		winbox.workgroup	winbox

then you can do it two ways:
The prefered permanant way would be to edit your /etc/fstab file.
Ha Ha I learnt this the other day.

add the entry to the bottom as follows:
//winbox/sharename 	/yourdestination/dir	smbfs
noauto,username=forwindowsshare,password=forwindowsshare,user,rw 0 0
on one line

then create the destination dir mkdir /destination/dir

then chmod +s /usr/bin/smbmnt
and chmod +s /usr/bin/smbumount

Then
exit
and as a normal user

just type mount //winbox/sharename

or if you just want a tmp solution
then
simply mount it like so:

mount -t smbfs -o username=winusername,password=winpasswd
//winbox/sharename /destination/dir
If have not edited the hosts file then replace the winbox with the ip.

Open naultilus and you should be able to copy,paste del all that
providing you have give the username the correct permissions on the
winbox.

To share a file from your linbox for the winbox
you need samba server installed in FC1 you will get an entry in the
"start menu" ,Linux PC Hey" system settings ==> server setting ==>
samba.
use the preferences menu at the top to add your self to the correct
windows domain and set-up users to acces the shares, It prefered that
you use user level security but you can switch it off with share level
security option.

Then in the main screen click the add button , browse your share dir and
assign access to the user you created.

Happy adventures.

Chadley Wilson

Production PLanner / Analyst and Supervisor

A division of Technobyte (Pty) Ltd.    Registration No. 1993/00917/07
Email: chadley@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Tel: +27 11 265 3000 (Switchboard) or 265 3195 (Direct) 083 342 3730
(Cell)
Fax: + 27 11 265 3073
Web site: www.pinnacle.co.za

WARNING: The information transmitted herewith is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or
other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete all
copies of the material.