Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

Kyle Moffett wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2006, at 03:05:17, Antonino A. Daplas wrote:
>> Pavel Machek wrote:
>>> Well, you can only miss a message *you would not see anyway*.
>>
>> There are some things that one can see but not read, and still be
>> recognizable even if your console is scrolling by.
>
> You would not even be able to recongnize it; we're talking about
> displaying text faster than the refresh rate, as pavel mentioned earlier:

We're talking about displaying a snapshot of the screen buffer at
specific intervals, perhaps during vblank.  And not all configurations
of framebuffers can scroll text that fast.  Just try vesafb at the
highest resolution and color depth without ypan and mtrr. (Default
for most distribs is vesafb at 1024x768-16, no ypan, no mtrr -- this
is a slow enough configuration that the scrolling text is recognizable,
Especially if you have a splash enabled, which further slows down
vesafb).

And the slower the console is, the more data that will fail to show
on the screen, the higher the likelihood of missing things, and the
uglier it will be.

Tony