Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Pavel Machek wrote:

Hi!

I just implemented text mode switch and tileblit ops into viafb
(http://davesdomain.org.uk/viafb/index.php) and it is about four
times faster than accelerated graphics mode and about eight times
faster than unaccelerated graphics mode (both measured using cat
largefile with ypan disabled). So textmode is meaningful
alternative.

I mean.... it is displaying text faster than refresh rate... so who
cares?

You can only *display* so much text a second (and then, user is only
able to see *much* less text) and both text mode and frame buffers are
way past that limits. so.... who cares?

there are quite a few times when you have text output that you need to
scroll through, but you really don't need to read it as it goes by.

for example, accidently cating a large file, running a program with overly
verbose debugging output, etc.

yes, if you never make mistakes and know that these are problem cases
ahead of time you can redirect the output. but in the real world sysadmins
really do notice when they are on a console that is slower.

if reading speed was the limiting factor very few people would need
anything faster then a 9600 baud terminal.

I'm not talking about reading speed, I'm talking about displaying
speed. Once you display more than refresh rate times screen
size... you may as well cheat -- xterm-like. If xterm detects too much
stuff is being displayed, it simply stops displaying it, only
refreshing screen few times a second...

That would work, however AFAIK it's not implemented in any existing framebuffer.

David Lang