Re: [OT Humor] "Obviously designed by morons"

On 03/21/2011 06:18 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Ralf Corsepius<rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx>  said:
>> * Try to open 2 side-by-side terminals on Fedora 15's Gnome 3:
>> I haven't managed to do so, yet.
>
> Really?

Yes, I am absolutely serious:

I haven't found any possibility to open 2 (or more) side-by-side
terminal windows on Fedora 15's Gnome 3.

I also think Gnome's ergonomy has massively regressed between Gnome 2
and Fedora 15's Gnome 3. It has rendered working with Gnome from "fair"
to "uneffective" and "clumsy".

> I played around with gnome-shell on a couple of the graphics
> test days and was not impressed,
Neither am I. However, I am aware the graphics are mostly a matter of
personal taste.

> but I haven't had a chance to look at
> it again (or any of F15 unfortunately).  My standard desktop is 3 xterms
> (real xterm, not GNOME terminal) side by side.   Browser windows are
> workspace 2 (with keyboard shortcut Win-F2), games (at home) or docs (at
> work) on 3, and 4 for miscellaneous stuff.  I tend to avoid overlapping
> windows, as that slows me down.
Me desktop layout is similar. 6 workspaces in total.
One workspace for thunderbird and firefox, one workspace for "file
browsers", 3 workspaces each containing several terminals (grouped by
tasks I am working on) and one "spare" workspace. No compiz, no desktop
effects (sense-free eye-candy and resource drain)

> I disliked the panel-on-top with gnome-shell; the first thing I always
> do under older GNOME is move the top panel to the right and set the
> bottom panel to auto-hide.
There was time, I used to move it to the left. As this didn't work out
well, I swallowed the top menu and learnt to live with it ;)

>  Wtih 16x{9,10} monitors, vertical screen
> space is the premium.
Agreed.

> IMHO one impediment to the perpetual "next year is the year of the Linux
> Desktop"
Wrt. Gnome 3 and Fedora, such statements make me laugh. I am considering
them to be shallow marketing word bubbles without any substance.

Ralf