Re: [OT Humor] "Obviously designed by morons"

Once upon a time, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> * Try to open 2 side-by-side terminals on Fedora 15's Gnome 3:
> I haven't managed to do so, yet.

Really?  I played around with gnome-shell on a couple of the graphics
test days and was not impressed, but I haven't had a chance to look at
it again (or any of F15 unfortunately).  My standard desktop is 3 xterms
(real xterm, not GNOME terminal) side by side.  Browser windows are
workspace 2 (with keyboard shortcut Win-F2), games (at home) or docs (at
work) on 3, and 4 for miscellaneous stuff.  I tend to avoid overlapping
windows, as that slows me down.

I disliked the panel-on-top with gnome-shell; the first thing I always
do under older GNOME is move the top panel to the right and set the
bottom panel to auto-hide.  Wtih 16x{9,10} monitors, vertical screen
space is the premium.

I hope more configuration tools are written; gconf/dconf are no better
than MS's registry (as somebody else pointed out, changing greeter
config is a PITA).

I'll look at fallback mode, but I'll probably give XFCE a try.

IMHO one impediment to the perpetual "next year is the year of the Linux
Desktop" is the seemingly constant desire to chuck everything and
change, often just for the sake of change.  On the Windows install or
two I have to use, I always switch back to the "Windows Classic" look
because it works.  That's an interface MS introduced over 15 years ago,
but they still support it (IIRC it is still the default for server
installs).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>