Re: Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:23 PM, John Mellor <john.mellor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  This thread has gone on far too long,

Your opinion, obviously.

> and has no relevance for
> anyone outside of the United States and their weird and incorrect use of their own  language.

I just asked why couldn´t yum suggest, when the package names given is
correct but capitalization is wrong, to present the user with an
option: "Do you mean this [correctly capitalized package name] ?
(y/N)"

That would go a long way to make things friendlier for the end user.

> I'm certainly tired of the repeated assertions by
> the original poster that he is right and that the rest of the world  needs to conform to his obviously-incorrect viewpoint.

I´m certainly tired of dictators that decree when a given discussion
has been going on "for far too long" and thinks his viewpoint is
"obviously correct", and that user-hostile messages to enforce proper
capitalization of a package name conforms to some sort of Correct
World View, and that offering the end user the option of a correctly
capitalized package name, so that the user only needs to answer "y"es
instead of re-typing the command is something that wouldn´t be
actually an improvement.

FC