Re: mplayer doesn't like me again

On 02/03/2011 03:47 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:

>>> According to the box, it's a Vision Tek Radeon HD3650.
>>
>> RV635 PRO chipset. PCIE x16 and AGP bus interfaces.  How much video RAM?
>> 256?  512?  1024?  The man page for radeon doesn't explicitly mention
>
> I think 512 MB, but I'm not sure.
> I don't have the box anymore.
> Is there a way to ask?

No, from some product announcement I saw, 512 sounds about right.
It might be available in the Xorg.0.log, but with that much video ram,
it shouldn't be important.

>> your model number, but it does claim to support your chipset.
>>
>> Have you read the man page radeon(4)?  It lists all the options.
>> Perhaps playing with some of them will improve your performance.
>
> When I get home, I'll check the man pages there.
> Googling for radeon man pages, I only found
> radeonhd that claimed to support HD3650.

radeonhd was a stop-gap driver put out while waiting for radeon to
mature.  Radeon has since matured, and should support most of what
radeonhd set out to do.

> The last time I had problems,
> 'Twas recommended that I not use radeonhd,
> either because it didn't work or because
> it had been absorbed into radeon.

Most likely the latter, radeon would now be more up-to-date, and use of
radeonhd should be deprecated.  It still exists in F13, but it is no
longer found in F14....

>>> xv: DRI failure, pixelation
>>
>> That would suggest either a bad video card, or the support for your card
>> is not (yet) complete in the radeon driver.  Have you tried a more
>> recent video driver?
>
> I don't know how for sure.
> If it involves installing an RPM, I'll try to figure out the name tonight.

probably xorg-x11-drv-ati

>> I haven't asked yet, what version of fedora, and what version of
>> xorg_x11_drv_ati?  I'm running F14 w/
>
> FC 13.

> I'll check xorg_x11_drv_ati when I get home.

That should have been:  xorg-x11-drv-ati
My bad.

>> xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.13.1-0.3.20100705git37b348059.fc14.x86_64

The version in F13 is: 6.13.0-1, slightly older than the version in F14.
And there is a version 6.13.1-0.4.20100705git37b348059.fc14 in
updates-testing on F14.

>>> gl_nosw: pixelation, but no DRI failure message
>>> dga: mess
>>> fbdev: cannot open /dev/fb, no  video
>>> xvidix: pci errors, no video
>>> x11: DRI failure, pixelation
>>
>> Without some sort of hardware support, 3D is going to require a really
>> fast CPU.  What is the processor in your system?  32 or 64 bit?  Any
>> idea what the system bus is running at?  My laptop has an Intel Core2
>> T7200 @ 2.0GHz.  With my video card, HD is iffy at best (playing a local
>
> 3.2 GHz pentium 4, 32 bits, with 4 GB RAM, 800 MHz FSB.

>From what I've seen on the MythTV list, 3.2GHz P4 cpu is about the
bottom of the barrel for enough horsepower for HD.  Some people claim
that a 3.4 I know that my AMD XP 2600+ was just under what I needed to
do HD well (with a GeForce 6200 card and XvMC).  I'm sure that once we
get to the heart of the matter with the video card support, you'll be fine.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxxxxxx