Re: mplayer doesn't like me again

On 01/31/2011 11:50 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> It doesn't  tell me my computer is too slow,
> it just gives me a rather pixelated image.
> People look like there made of burlap.
>
> The output from mplayer has two things
> that look like error messages to me.
>
>> Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared
>> object file: No such file or directory
>> [vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
>
> and
>
>> [VD_FFMPEG] DRI failure.0.051 ct: -0.030   0/  0 ??% ??% ??,?% 0 0
>
> I don't even know why it looks for VDPAU.
> I have a GeForce card.

That depends on *which* GeForce card you have.  vdpau will only help you
if you have a GeForce 6 series card or later *and* are running with the
nvidia driver.  The more later, the more it can help you.  If you are
using nouveau or nv, you can't benefit from vdpau support.

> Presumably things would go badly if it found libvdpau_nvidia.so .
>
> Once upon a time, I  knew what DRI failure meant,
> but I've forgotten and googling turns up questions but no answers.

DRI = Direct Rendering Infrastructure.  It is the main support for 3D
acceleration in X11 these days.  In the video world, DRM is the Direct
Rendering Manager.  Wikipedia is your friend.

> /var/log/Xorg.0.log includes, among other things:
>
>> [ 86356.565] Dac detection success
>> [ 86356.565] (II) RADEON(0): Output: DVI-0, Detected Monitor Type: 0
>> [ 86356.565] Unhandled monitor type 0
>> [ 86356.565] (II) RADEON(0): EDID for output DVI-0

Whoa!  This looks like you have a Radeon card of some sort.  Radeon is
made by AMD these days (used to be ATI).  GeForce is made by nVidia.

> from mplayer -V, the last lineis
>
>> vo: x11 uninit called but X11 not initialized..

Yeah, I get this message from both my laptop and my desktop.  The former
has an ATI chipset, the latter an nVidia one.

What is in your /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf file?  It should show the vo
options it will try and use.  Mine uses:

vo=xv,xvidix,

and I don't have those problems....  The man page for mplayer for video
output options.  You can override by using the -vo command line option.
See what works best for you.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxxxxxx