Re: mplayer doesn't like me again

On 02/01/2011 01:40 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> Arrrg.
> I remembered that I didn't have nvidia,
> but I remembered the wrong name.
> I'm on my third video card.
> The first was a radeon.
> After I zapped that one, I had it replaced with
> an nvidia card because it had AGP and I could find it.
> Having cooked or otherwise damaged that one,
> I replaced it with a VisionTek Radeon HD 3650.
> Again was the AGP card I could find.
> I suspect that a Radeon wouldn't play well with a *nvidia.so .

Yes, AFAIK, vdpau support is only for nVidia cards.  Buts, its really
nice support.  If you ever seem full HD running on an nVidia netbook and
an ATOM processor, its awesome!  vdpau support means you don't need a
honking CPU to be able to display full HD anymore.  That's why when I
bought my last motherboard (which came with an builtin Radeon HD
chipset) I also bought an nVidia GT210 PCI-E video card:  for the VDPAU
support.  It works great!  (OK, The AMD Phenom X4 processor probably
helps too!)  But, enough advocating for nVidia....

> As noted above, I remembered the wrong name.
> By the time I got around to posting a message,
> my brain was too scrambled to take the hint.
>
>>> from mplayer -V, the last lineis

>> Yeah, I get this message from both my laptop and my desktop.  The former
>> has an ATI chipset, the latter an nVidia one.
>>
>> What is in your /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf file?  It should show the vo
>> options it will try and use.  Mine uses:
>>
>> vo=xv,xvidix,
>
> I'm at work, so I don't know for sure,
> Somewhere I think a saw a statement that mplayer would use a built-in list.
> The list was not specified.

Without specifying a list (and after exhausting the modes in the list if
it ends with a ","), mplayer will go though all the modes in its own
order.  Seem like vpdau is higher up on the list than the mode you need,
so it tries it before what you need.  You might want to determine what
the video mode you need is and add it to your system's mplayer.conf file
so it finds it sooner.

> Thank you for your help and your patience.

np

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxxxxxx