Re: X won't start on F14 - I've run out of ideas! [Solved]

On Saturday, October 16, 2010, James McKenzie wrote:

> > Ended up doing a reinstall to F14x64_TC1 - all is now well; I

> > went  into custom partitioning and used all the same

> > partitions as before, but left the old home unformatted -

> > so, the / and /boot partitions got wiped but my old home

> > with all my data and mail and numerous other custom

> > configurations were preserved. The machine came up after the

> > install, asked me to create a new user name/password; when I

> > put in the same as the old, it reported that it had found a

> > user folder with that name and did I want to take possession

> > of that folder - answering yes produces a pause as the

> > permissions and rights are reset, and then the machine came

> > right up. X is running perfectly now - presumably, I'm up on

> > the nouveau driver.

> Can you report this on the test mailing list as well to make

> them aware  of this 'fix' and that the problem persisted

> through a reboot when you upgraded from an older FC

> version.  May stop this from happening when FC 14 becomes

> available to the general public.

I'm not really sure how to formulate such a report. I had a problem with X starting properly after some updates of a month or so ago. I have no recollection which round of updates started the problem. I tried many, many, things to resolve this, but to no avail. Whatever the problem was (which I never was able to discover), a simple upgrade of my F13 system to F14TC1 didn't resolve the issue; the upgrade replaced and updated many packages, too numerous to count - I posted all this, but only got a few replies, so I was apparently on unencountered territory; the final fix was to reinstall F14x64TC1, but rather than upgrading, I fresh installed; I used the custom drive layout option and deleted everything on my / and /boot partitions, reformatting them, while leaving /home intact

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA