Re: X won't start on F14 - I've run out of ideas! [Solved]

On Friday, October 15, 2010, Claude Jones wrote:

> On 10/14/2010 1:16 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> > OTOH, you might try to boot a Fedora Live CD, just to be sure

> > that hardware is still ok, run a memtest, etc. In general I

> > hate to suggest a reinstall of the whole OS, but since there

> > is no obvious way to understand the problem you have, maybe

> > a reinstall would be a quick way out of problems. Just be

> > sure to backup all your data.

> With no one coming up with further ideas, I decided to try an

> upgrade using the F14TC1 release. It went fine, but the

> problem persisted upon first reboot. Don't know if that's a

> clue or no - I keep thinking, some .conf file or equivalent

> somewhere...is the prob

Ended up doing a reinstall to F14x64_TC1 - all is now well; I went into custom partitioning and used all the same partitions as before, but left the old home unformatted - so, the / and /boot partitions got wiped but my old home with all my data and mail and numerous other custom configurations were preserved. The machine came up after the install, asked me to create a new user name/password; when I put in the same as the old, it reported that it had found a user folder with that name and did I want to take possession of that folder - answering yes produces a pause as the permissions and rights are reset, and then the machine came right up. X is running perfectly now - presumably, I'm up on the nouveau driver.

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA