Re: jre Firefox plugin won't work.

On 17 October 2010 03:20, Jim <binarynut@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I ran the commands and everything compared,  but when I ran;
>
> # /usr/sbin/alternatives --config libjavaplugin.so
>
> It ran , but I did not get the result shown below
>

> There is 1 program that provides 'libjavaplugin.so'.
>
>   Selection    Command
> *+ 1           /usr/java/default/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
>
> Enter to keep the current selection[+], or type selection number:

Try this, but changing the plugin directory
(/usr/java/default/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so) to the directory where you
have installed the Sun Java plugin, which might be different from
mine:
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so libjavaplugin.so
/usr/java/default/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so 20000

After you install with the above then you can call the config option
to make sure that it is configured well:
/usr/sbin/alternatives --config libjavaplugin.so

In fact the above is probably not necessary, as one would think that
if you have only one alternative it will be enabled automatically (but
don't put much faith on what I say, I have limited experience with
Linux).

Also I would say you likely could do without this alternatives
business, and put a libjavaplugin.so sym link directly in
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. The reason I have it like this is that at
some point I had the IcedTea plugin installed and then using the
alternatives I could switch easily between the two.