Re: Pulseaudio error on HP Probook 4515s

On 08/20/2010 01:06 PM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> Rick, here is the pavucontrol input devices picture.
>
> http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8031/inputdevices.png
>
> Zoltan

It appears you have two input devices.

One is the RS880 Audio Device.
One is the Bels? hangforr?? Analog Stereo device.

Please accept my apology for using ? for non-English characters.
I don't know how to enter non-English characters.

I'm not sure what the "Monitor of ..." entries are for.
I ignore them (can someone tell us what they are for?).

When you run paman (from rpm -q -i paman), it should show
"Server Information" as the first tab, "Devices" as the second tab,
"Clients" as the third tab, "Modules" as the fourth tab, and finally
"Sample Cache"

For "Server Information", what is the "Default Sink" and what is the
"Default Source".

I have, for Default Sink, alsa_output.pci-0000_00_10.1.analog-stereo
Default Source, alsa_input.pci-0000_00_10.1.analog-stereo

For devices, I have
Sinks
alsa_output.pci-0000_00_10.1.analog-stereo  Internal Audio Analog Stereo

Sources
alsa_output.pci-0000_00_10.1.analog-stereo.monior
                         Monitor of Internal Audio Analog Stereo
alsa_input.pci-0000_00_10.1.analog-stereo   Internal Audio Analog Stereo

This leads to my questions:
1) do you have alsa_input.xxx... for each microphone input source?
   I would ignore the "Monitor of ..." entries.
2) On the "Server Information" tab, what is the default Source when
   you do not have the USB sound card in, and what is the default Source
   when you have the USB sound card.

I still suspect you have to select your default source and default sink.

I did another Internet search...don't know if it will help:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Allowing_Multiple_Programs_to_Play_Sound

Please search for "Random Lack of Sound":
"
 Random Lack of Sound

If you randomly have no sound on startup, it may be because your system
has multiple sound cards, and their order may sometimes change on
startup. If this is the case, then change this section of /etc/asound.conf:

ctl.dmixer {
    type hw
    card FOO
}

Replace FOO with the desired audio device, as reported in the
/proc/asound/cards file. An example of the file is shown below.

 0 [U0x46d0x9a1    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x9a1
                      USB Device 0x46d:0x9a1 at usb-0000:00:12.2-2, high
speed
 1 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                      HDA ATI SB at 0xf9ff4000 irq 16

Device 0 is the microphone built into a webcam, while device 1 is the
integrated sound card. If you've copied the /etc/asound.conf from above
as is, alsa will attempt to initialize the microphone as an audio output
device, but will fail and you will have no sound. Rather than setting
FOO to the number, you set it to the name next to the number, like so:

ctl.dmixer {
    type hw
    card SB
}