Re: Pulseaudio error on HP Probook 4515s

On 08/20/2010 11:14 AM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:

> 2010/8/20 Rick Sewill <rsewill@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:rsewill@xxxxxxxxx>>
>
> On 08/19/2010 01:08 PM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> This is an smaller problem around pulseaudio. I couldn't explain
> why is
>> so, but I think this is an PA bug. Currently the playback works every
>> way but, recording not. When I try to use Empathy jabber voice call
>> option to my partner, then rings out with voice, but after pick up
> - for
>> an shiny brief moment - the mic works, after that no more - and
> pops out
>> an error that "couldn't link source" (maybe the thread makes itsef
>> suicide, perhaps?). After that I have made an second try - I have
>> attached an USB soundcard - what is widely usable on many linux
> (it uses
>> Cystal Sound chipset). The result was disappointing - here the mic
>> worked as should, but I heard no voice in my headphone, nor even at my
>> speakers.
>> Anybody could confirm this is an bug? Is there a known solution?
>

>> PS: If needed, I'm ready to debug.
>
>> Thanks,
>
>> Zoltan
>
>> --
>> PGP:  06853DF7

I have an idea about the microphone.

When running pavucontrol, under "Input Devices", do you have more than
one port?  I discovered I have, "Microphone 1", "Microphone 2", and
"Line-In" when I look at Port: <one of those names>.  Given where I
plugged in my microphone, I believe I need to have "Microphone 1"
selected as the port for my microphone to work.

Could you check if you have multiple ports, and try changing the port,
and see if the microphone works if a certain port is selected?
I would try this test without the second USB sound card.