Re: Pulseaudio error on HP Probook 4515s

2010/8/20 Rick Sewill <rsewill@xxxxxxxxx>

On 08/19/2010 01:08 PM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is an smaller problem around pulseaudio. I couldn't explain why is
> so, but I think this is an PA bug. Currently the playback works every
> way but, recording not. When I try to use Empathy jabber voice call
> option to my partner, then rings out with voice, but after pick up - for
> an shiny brief moment - the mic works, after that no more - and pops out
> an error that "couldn't link source" (maybe the thread makes itsef
> suicide, perhaps?). After that I have made an second try - I have
> attached an USB soundcard - what is widely usable on many linux (it uses
> Cystal Sound chipset). The result was disappointing - here the mic
> worked as should, but I heard no voice in my headphone, nor even at my
> speakers.
> Anybody could confirm this is an bug? Is there a known solution?
>
> PS: If needed, I'm ready to debug.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zoltan
>
> --
> PGP:  06853DF7

Usually, when I say things about Pulse Audio, others gently correct me.

Sounds like you have two separate problems...without the USB sound card,
your microphone stops working.

With the USB sound card, your speakers/headphones stop working.

I think you need to debug each problem separately.

Do you have pavucontrol installed?
rpm -q -i pavucontrol -- yum install pavucontrol

Yes. The whole PA set.

I'd check what pavucontrol tells you about the volume settings for your
input devices and output devices.  Please make sure nothing is muted.

Checked twice. Nothing is turned off.

When you add the USB sound card, I'd expect separate controls for the
second sound card.

I only have one sound card...I'd expect Pulse Audio to supply a way to
select the sink (speaker/headphone) and the source (microphone) to use
when you have multiple sound cards.  I'm not sure how to select the
source or sink when one has multiple sound cards.  Hopefully, others
will answer.

Before running empathy, does your microphone work when you do not have
the USB sound card?

There is no sign, to there is some activity on monitors. For the stereo analog device monitoring - it's pulsing as should, but for mic - it's only seems for me nothing happens.

 After running empathy, do you need to reboot to get
your microphone to work?

No.

If you look at the pavucontrol settings for
the microphone before starting empathy and compare those settings after
you start empathy, what changes?

Nothing. I could control the volume up to 4x to the default, but nothing changes. If I call my partner through empathy, then, I could hear him, but I couldn't answer - he says he only hears from me garbage noice, or snatches.

Before running empathy, your speaker/headphones work when you have a
second sound card?

When the second usb card is inserted, and switching to the output, and input - strangely the situation flips. There is totally silence from speakers, but mic works. The problem gets harder, when I say that I have also an integrated mic next to the built-in cam, and there is no any control/adjust it/switch between the headphone mic and the built-in one.

After running empathy, do you need to reboot to have
your speaker/microphones work?

Sometimes Empathy Voip part immediatelly brokes, when the call is received - or sent and picked up. Sometimes when I call - then doesn't get's broken, just works without my mic. But when gets broken, yes - I need to restart the whole machine, or kill the whole empathy - to release from freeze.

 What pavucontrol settings change for
your speaker/headphones?

I always look at http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup when I have
problems with Pulse Audio...nothing jumps out at me that may help you.
I'm curious what does Empathy think it's using for sound?  Is it Alsa or
what?

It's alsa, with the control of PA - I think. I have installed earler alsa and oss compatibility, Jack, and ESD too - sometimes earlier this repaired the PA. But this time not. Also I know perfectSetup, I always begin here - when problems appearing around PA.

Is there anything in /var/log/messages from pulseaudio when you run empathy?

Some bug reports suggest doing "pulseaudio -vvv".  Normally, pulseaudio
is running as a user startup application (or so I think).  Can one do
"kill pulseaudio"
"pulseaudio -vvv > somefile.txt"
and see if there are any useful pulseaudio messages.
I have no idea what pulseaudio -vvv produces...it may be lots of output.
pulseaudio -vvv may have so many messages audio quality will be bad.

Here is the output from pulseaudio -vvv:
[zoltan@localhost ~]$ pulseaudio -vvv
I: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) meghiúsult: A művelet nem engedélyezett
I: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) meghiúsult: A művelet nem engedélyezett
D: core-rtclock.c: Timer slack is set to 50 us.
D: core-util.c: RealtimeKit worked.
I: core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
I: main.c: PulseAudio 0.9.21
D: main.c: Összeépítő számítógép: i386-redhat-linux-gnu
D: main.c: Összeépítési CFLAGS jelzők: -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -march=i686 -mtune=atom -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -Wall -W -Wextra -pipe -Wno-long-long -Winline -Wvla -Wno-overlength-strings -Wunsafe-loop-optimizations -Wundef -Wformat=2 -Wlogical-op -Wsign-compare -Wformat-security -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wformat-nonliteral -Wold-style-definition -Wpointer-arith -Winit-self -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-noreturn -Wshadow -Wendif-labels -Wcast-align -Wstrict-aliasing=2 -Wwrite-strings -Wno-unused-parameter -ffast-math -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fno-common -fdiagnostics-show-option
D: main.c: Kiszolgáló: Linux i686 2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.i686 #1 SMP Fri Jul 23 17:27:40 UTC 2010
D: main.c: 2 CPU található a rendszerben.
I: main.c: Oldalméret: 4096 bájt
D: main.c: Összeépítés Valgrind támogatással: Nem
D: main.c: Futás Valgrind üzemmódban: no
D: main.c: Running in VM: no
D: main.c: Optimalizált összeépítés: Igen
D: main.c: Minden érvényesítés engedélyezve.
I: main.c: Számítógép-azonosító: 87b15e3e2ba84de6c2bb975f00000010.
I: main.c: Munkamenet-azonosító: 87b15e3e2ba84de6c2bb975f00000010-1282313019.361607-323207233.
I: main.c: A futásidőben használt mappa: /home/zoltan/.pulse/87b15e3e2ba84de6c2bb975f00000010-runtime.
I: main.c: Az állapottároló mappa: /home/zoltan/.pulse.
I: main.c: A modulok mappája: /usr/lib/pulse-0.9.21/modules.
I: main.c: Futás rendszer üzemmódban: no
E: pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: main.c: A „pa_pid_file_create()” calling failed: no
--------------------------------------------EOF-------------------------------------------------------------

My best guess, if the pavucontrols look correct after running empathy,
but the microphone or speakers/headphones stop working, I'd suspect
Pulse Audio or Alsa or both.  If the volume controls are being changed,
I'd wonder what empathy is doing.

Nothing happens. Just the garbage noice gets louder on this side. Well - also I have given a chance also to an podcast recorder wich uses PA. It's called pulsecaster, but records only empty files, and very tiny noice....

I haven't tried empathy yet...I should.

I hope this info helps, but if the driver has failed around the chip then - it means - I couldn't do much.

Thanks for help,

Zoltan

--
PGP:  06853DF7