Re: Nvidia proprietary drivers vs. Fedora xorg packages

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 20:01 -0700, john wendel wrote:
> I should just keep quiet, but anyhow ...

Yes, why tempt fate, when you can...  ;-)

> I just installed the latest evil Nvidia driver, which works great on
> my F11 box, and nothing is broken. I just did 'ls -ltr' in all
> the /usr directories, and I don't see anything "stomped" on except for
> some include files. All the files installed by the Nvidia installer
> (except the include files) have "nvidia" and/or a version number in
> their name. Nvidia replaces libGL (and friends), but the files are
> properly versioned, and the original files are still there.

If they have stopped stomping on original files, then it's news to us.
Because the have for years.

> I really don't understand the "problem". Is it practical or
> philosophical?

You could start by reading:
http://rpmfusion.org/RPMFusionSwitcher

Not to mention that one of the great benefits of using Fedora with
packages from the usual repos, is that "yum update" takes care of
everything.  Unlike the Windows-style of management, where everything is
separately handled (Windows does its own updates, your drivers need
separately updating, your software individually checks with mummy for
updates once a day, or each time you fire it up).

There used to be an easy to find page that detailed exactly what
blunders Nvidia did to your system with their install, but I can't find
it right now.  Considering their prior behaviour, I have little faith in
them.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Hacker: You show me mine, and I'll show you yours.
Open source: You show me yours, and I'll show you mine.
Closed source: You sell me yours, and I'll lease you mine.