Re: Nvidia proprietary drivers vs. Fedora xorg packages

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 17:56 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > If you use the Nvidia proprietary drivers (as I do) be aware that
> > installing some of the xorg*.rpm packages can break these drivers in
> > subtle ways.  In particular, xorg-x11-server-Xorg.*.rpm contains the
> > file /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so, which conflicts
> > with a file with the same name installed by the Nvidia driver
> > package NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-256.44.run (and probably all the rest).
>
> This is a know problem with the Nvidia install scripts.  It is their
> scripts that are broken.  They should not be overwriting system
> files.
>
> > ===> Bottom Line <===
> > If you are using the Nvidia drivers and start having trouble with your
> > graphics system, consider reinstalling the Nvidia drivers.
>
> On the contrary, consider install nvidia drivers via the RPM Fusion
> packages, which don't have these problems.  Also consider filing a
> ticket with the Nvidia folks, since they really ought to fix this (not
> that I'd hold my breath).

If only...

I used the kmod/akmod happily for some time, till google earth stopped
working under the kmod/akmod driver.  (The open source (nouveau) driver,
which would have been preferable doesn't support the 3D hardware which
google earth needs to run at a tolerable speed.)  But the kmod/akmod
drivers fell behind the nvidia releases and were not brought up to date
for some time, despite some gentle prodding, so I decided to switch to
the proprietary drivers.

kmod/akmod at the rpmfusion repo are now at least two releases behind
Nvidia at version 195.36.24, while Nvidia has released 256.35 and
256.44.  So it looks like I'll have to stay with the fully proprietary
drivers.

I fear that there are technical reasons why Nvidia is releasing files
with conflicting names.  Can you give a reason why this is not so?

jon