Re: iptables question

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 18:14 -0700, JD wrote:
> I would like to set up my iptables firewall ...
[without using the default GUI tool]

You can try one of the other front ends for managing the firewall.  I
think Firestarter is the name of one that's still current.  There's
about two or three choices of front ends already compiled for Fedora, if
I recall correctly.  Just yum search for firewall.

Or you can use the command line.  On my old router, I used to have a
bash script full of iptables commands.  I'd modify the script to set my
rules, then run the script any time I'd made modifications (it doesn't
need running, otherwise, just to make changes).  It'd set the rules, and
save the configuration (the last command line of the script being an
iptables save command).  When the computer booted up, it'd reload the
rules (that I'd made before) in the normal way it reads its
configuration.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686