Re: Nvidia proprietary drivers vs. Fedora xorg packages

On Monday, August 16, 2010 05:03:54 Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 17:12 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > I fear that there are technical reasons why Nvidia is releasing files
> > with conflicting names.
>
> Considering that others have repackaged the same drivers, so they
> install without stuffing up the original system files, the answer would
> probably be that there is no good reason, just laziness on their behalf.
>
> If they're making the drivers, they can make it ask for files with
> different file paths, or file names, and leave the original ones alone.

The nVidia folks do not package the drivers just for Fedora, but are instead
trying to cover all Linux flavors with one single automated .bin install
script. My guess is that conflicting file names exist across various distros,
and that it is impossible to package the blob installation for all of them
simultaneously, without overwriting some system files (on some distros at
least).

Rpmfusion folks take the whole thing apart and customize it for Fedora
specifically. My guess is that, say, akmod from rpmfusion would break horribly
if one tries to install it to OpenSuSE or some other rpm-based Linux flavor.

It is already fortunate that nVidia folks are providing the .bin that can
actually be repackaged by third parties to fit a particular distro. Asking for
more might be too much, IMHO.

Best, :-)
Marko