Re: Installing DD-WRT -

On Mon August 16 2010, Bob Goodwin wrote:

>     I believe I did, there was a blinking power on LED and nothing else
>     worked. However I was still able to ping 192.168.1.1 and eventually
>     found that I could re-install the original system, which fortunately
>     I still had, using tftp with a "how to" I found. That restored
>     things to square one and gave me confidence to have another go at
> it!
>
>     But as usual with computers, I am always "working in the dark,"
>     never know what is really going on ...

Yeah...scary. :-) As I mentioned, with Linksys, you can't just jump to the
"big" firmware. You have to start with the "mini" firmware and upgrade that
to the full-featured firmware. Not sure why that works, but it does. :-)

Other routers may be this way as well. All I can say to those interested in
"Linux-ising" their routers is to read the how-to for their particular
model on the DD-WRT website. There's also OpenWRT, I think, although I've
never tried it.