Re: Still no kmod for new nvidia

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>
>>> And if you run Radeon chipsets which worked with FC6 and FC9, should you expect
>>> that the developers would spend time on gamer features like 3D and compiz while
>>> long time users run in text mode or VESA mode at best? Not everyone can throw
>>> away what was a pretty decent laptop when it gets to be three years old.
>>>

>> And WHY should AMD/ATI support old hardware?  They ain't selling anymore.
>>

> I guess because they want customers to be happy and disposed to buy new. In any
> case, the vendor driver works and the open source doesn't, so I would suppose
> that since it was working they just didn't bother to break it.
>

>> ATI support is, mostly, on a paid basis and funded for current AMD/ATI
>> products.
>>
>> The current version of the Catalyst drivers does not and should not
>> support my 10 year old laptop with an ATI Rage Mobility 3 2xAGP
>> adaptor.  Nor do I expect them to do so.
>>

> The vendor driver supports my three year old Radeon chip, the current Fedora
> driver offers text mode and some VESA capabilities.
>

>>> Lately it feels as if developers are not adding features but breaking or
>>> removing support as well, as though there were some limit on the number of
>>> chipsets which can work.
>>>

>> Again, if I worked as a developer for a company that was paying my
>> bills, I would do what they tell me.
>>

> I think you are missing the point, the vendor drivers seem to work, the open
> source don't.

Ah, thank you for explaining this.  Maybe they still support the old
Rage chip in my Thinkpad then?

And sometimes Open Source is not the way to go.  They may not have all
of the 'facts' that the vendor is holding back on.  I'm very well aware
that ATI did, at one time, publish their card specifications but also
put out a 'blob' and documented that very well.  Some Open Source folks
did not like this, but it was way better than waiting for ATI to build
drivers.

However, each user has to select what they want to use and if there is
broken or reduced functionality, they will have to be aware and be able
to 'deal with it.'