Re: Still no kmod for new nvidia

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> James McKenzie wrote:
>> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>> And if you run Radeon chipsets which worked with FC6 and FC9, should you expect
>>> that the developers would spend time on gamer features like 3D and compiz while
>>> long time users run in text mode or VESA mode at best? Not everyone can throw
>>> away what was a pretty decent laptop when it gets to be three years old.
>>>

>> And WHY should AMD/ATI support old hardware?  They ain't selling anymore.
>>
> I guess because they want customers to be happy and disposed to buy new. In any
> case, the vendor driver works and the open source doesn't, so I would suppose
> that since it was working they just didn't bother to break it.

After thinking about that, I'm wrong. When X changed the drivers had to be
actively modified to keep the old hardware working. So the vendor developer
supported what they sold three years ago (and maybe kept some big laptop vendors
happy), while the FOSS developers support what they use, which I suspect is new,
  expensive, top-end desktop stuff, not the Radeon HP and Acer business laptop
of 3-4 years ago.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>