Re: Still no kmod for new nvidia

James McKenzie wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> And if you run Radeon chipsets which worked with FC6 and FC9, should you expect
>> that the developers would spend time on gamer features like 3D and compiz while
>> long time users run in text mode or VESA mode at best? Not everyone can throw
>> away what was a pretty decent laptop when it gets to be three years old.
>>

> And WHY should AMD/ATI support old hardware?  They ain't selling anymore.

I guess because they want customers to be happy and disposed to buy new. In any
case, the vendor driver works and the open source doesn't, so I would suppose
that since it was working they just didn't bother to break it.

> ATI support is, mostly, on a paid basis and funded for current AMD/ATI
> products.
>
> The current version of the Catalyst drivers does not and should not
> support my 10 year old laptop with an ATI Rage Mobility 3 2xAGP
> adaptor.  Nor do I expect them to do so.

The vendor driver supports my three year old Radeon chip, the current Fedora
driver offers text mode and some VESA capabilities.

>> Lately it feels as if developers are not adding features but breaking or
>> removing support as well, as though there were some limit on the number of
>> chipsets which can work.
>>

> Again, if I worked as a developer for a company that was paying my
> bills, I would do what they tell me.

I think you are missing the point, the vendor drivers seem to work, the open
source don't.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>