F13 installation: successful with small problem and larger one.

Hi gang!

I installed F13 on my eeepc 901 on Friday. Since I changed the partitioing
scheme, I backed up the whole thing onto a USB HD first so I could restore
my home directory afterwards (in fact I also kept dd images of /dev/sda
and /dev/sdb in case I decided to put F12 back on it later.)

first small problem:
I wanted /dev/sda (4 gig SSD) to contain /boot and /. I wanted /dev/sdb
(16gig SSD) to contain swap and /home. I DID NOT want LVM. I DID want
encrypted filesystems. But when I tell Anaconda to partition without LVM
and without VG, it disables encrypted partition option. Is there any
way to regain that feature?

second (not quite so) small problem:
every time I tried to manually create a LVM/VG-free partitioning scheme
as described above, Anaconda would crash. I could restart the installation
without rebooting, but it would fail in other strange ways (sorry, I failed
to take notes on this) and I ended up having to do a power-off cold restart
to get it to work again. Every time. Tried 6 or 8 times before moving on...

Therefore, I used Anaconda to just partition /dev/sda as above (/boot and
/, UNencrypted since it wouldn't let me choose encryption if I didn't also
allow it to use LVM) assuming I could later (after installation) manually
partition /dev/sdb (again, as described above) and tweak /etc/fstab to
mount /dev/sdb2 as /home.

Third, larger problem:
So, I did it that way and it works. sort of.

Booting up and logging in via GDM gives me a GUI desktop that all seems
to work well. HOWEVER, when I try to ssh to the machine from another one
it says this:

fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx's password:
Last login: Sat May 29 20:14:16 2010 from 192.168.2.12
Could not chdir to home directory /home/fredex: Permission denied
/usr/bin/xauth:  timeout in locking authority file /home/fredex/.Xauthority
[fredex@eeepcbox /]$

as you can see it won't start me off in /home/fredex but leaves me in /.
Funny thing is, after this happens I can "cd /home/fredex" without any
trouble at all.

I'm going to assume that the xauth error is related to the same thing,
whatever it may be, that causes the chdir error.

googling showed me a lot of people have had similar problems, but none of
the suggestions actually solved it for me.

Operating on the guess that my having manually mounted and manually copied
my home dir into place somehow left something broken, I created a new user
(deleteme) and tried doing the SSH as that user. Unfortunately, the same
thing happens, so I guess it's NOT a result of the way I put my data in
/home/fredex.

If I comment out the line in /etc/fstab that mounts /dev/sdb2 on /home, and
reboot and log in then it logs in without any trouble (though of course
my files aren't there, and there's not enough room to put them there.)
(as you can guess, there's also a /home/fredex on /dev/sda2 that was
created during the original install, and my changing fstab to mount
/dev/sdb2 over it merely hides it--it's still there if we do not mount
/dev/sdb2 over it. I don't see how this could cause a problem such as
this one...)

It must therefore be something about having /home mounted the way I'm doing
it, but it beats me what it might be. here's /etc/fstab:

[fredex@eeepcbox /]$ cat /etc/fstab

#
# /etc/fstab
# Created by anaconda on Fri May 28 15:11:59 2010
#
# Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
# See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or blkid(8) for more info
#
UUID=fb18a565-f3ea-45aa-a2ad-af9d241e3014 /     ext4    defaults,noatime        1 1
UUID=4045da8d-003a-49b0-a01b-fdc55971e81d /boot ext4    defaults,noatime        1 2

# /home mount added by fcs 05/28/10
UUID=7d165598-20a1-4f18-974c-f7f21473c12c /home ext4    defaults,noatime        1 2
#/dev/sdb2              /home           ext4    defaults,noatime 1 2

tmpfs                   /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys            sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc           proc    defaults        0 0

# all below added by fcs 05/28/10
/dev/sdb1               swap            swap    defaults        0 0
tmpfs                   /var/tmp        tmpfs   noatime         0 0
tmpfs                   /tmp            tmpfs   noatime         0 0

Above you'll see a commented line that mounts /dev/sdb2, and an active
line that mounts by UUID. That's the UUID of /dev/sdb2, taken from the
output of dumpe2fs. No matter which line is active, the same error
occurs.

I DO NOT see ANYTHING in /var/log that relates to these errors. Not in
the xorg logs, not messages, not secure, not anywhere.

I'm stumped, anyone got any sage adivce for me?

Thanks in advance!

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,