Re: F13 installation: successful with small problem and larger one.

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 4:31 PM, fred smith
<fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi gang!
>
> I installed F13 on my eeepc 901 on Friday. Since I changed the partitioing
> scheme, I backed up the whole thing onto a USB HD first so I could restore
> my home directory afterwards (in fact I also kept dd images of /dev/sda
> and /dev/sdb in case I decided to put F12 back on it later.)
>
> first small problem:
> I wanted /dev/sda (4 gig SSD) to contain /boot and /. I wanted /dev/sdb
> (16gig SSD) to contain swap and /home. I DID NOT want LVM. I DID want
> encrypted filesystems. But when I tell Anaconda to partition without LVM
> and without VG, it disables encrypted partition option. Is there any
> way to regain that feature?

I'm a little late to the conversation but just to offer another
option. I actually did want LVM on my EEEPC 701. I only have a 4GB
main SSD as well and I also have a 4GB SD card it it. On my original
install of F12 I found the SSD to be rather slow so since I don't keep
anything important on it I decided to experiment with an LVM striped
volume. I end up wasting a little space for two reasons. One I need a
/boot that's not in LVM, and two, although both are considered 4GB
storage devices, they are not exactly the same size.

Anyway, I used gparted from System Rescue CD on a flash drive to setup
my partitions since anaconda can be rather limiting, especially prior
to the F13 version. Then I use the custom disk layout option and
manually set everything up.

I find a noticeable reduction in program load times with the LVM
stripe and if eithe drive goes bad, no problem. Like I said I don't
keep anything important on it.

Richard