Re: Correct instructions for installing NVidia proprietary driver on Fedora 13?

> I am thinking that your problem is nouveau must be blacklisted in the
> grub.conf file
>
> http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia
>
> See the Fedora 12/13 install guide for the instruction to install
>
> Selinix protection must be lowered to allow the nvidia driver to load and
>
> rdblacklist=nouveau  must be added to the kernel lines after quiet
>
> These steps should be done before a reboot

Hello Michael,
A little clarification on something I said in my first message on this issue.
I followed the instructions located here:
http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/nvidia-yum-kmod

In addition to the other things on that page that apply to Fedora 13, followed
this instruction:
5. To use the default initrd, but disable the nouveau driver, edit
/etc/grub.conf and add the following to the end of the line(s) starting with
'kernel':
rdblacklist=nouveau

So, every time I have tried to reboot unsuccessfully with the NVidia driver
enabled, I have had rdblacklist=nouveau on the appropriate kernel line in
grub.conf.

Interestingly, the page that I got the instructions from has been changed.  It
used to say:
rdblacklist=nouveau

now it says:
rdblacklist=nouveau nomodeset

Doesn't make any difference, though.  I already tried that and it did not work
for me.  But I will try again just for kicks...

A little more detail about what happens after I enable the NVidia driver.
1. Reboot the computer.
2. The computer appears to boot successfully.  Every line in the boot messages
that has anything to do with NVidia has a nice green [OK] by it.
3. Boot appears to finish, and the screen goes black.
4. Then the signal is stopped from reaching the monitor, and the monitor pops up
a little message about there being no signal.
5. The normally white power button changes to the customary tannish color that
appears when there is no signal.
6. Then I can do nothing.  "Ctrl | Alt | F2" does nothing, so I can't follow any
of the trouble shooting steps in the instructions that I posted the link to
above...
7. Then I have to press the Reset button to reboot the computer.

So, I'm going to try all of this again, and maybe also try something I haven't
done before...  We'll see what happens.

Steven P. Ulrick