Re: Regarding Get Fedora page

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Suvayu Ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 May 2010 01:31 PM, � Duffy wrote:
>> As I already explained clearly: torrents, jigdo, and mirrors are not
>> required to download and enjoy Fedora. These alternative and in some
>> cases niche methods for downloading Fedora are not essential for
>> actually obtaining Fedora.
>
> Jigdo, maybe but calling torrents as a niche method is probably incorrect.

I thought torrent was precisely invented for this kind of purpose. I
also held the opinion that torrent is by far the number one method of
getting Fedora, or any other Linux distro for that matter. It offers
the most efficient downloading speed while keeping the main servers
off too much load. Also, Windows users shouldn't be underestimated for
their knowledge of using torrent.

Removing the torrent from the download page is just a poor design
decision, IMHO. People who get scared off by technical terminology on
a website offering a Linux operating system should probably be better
off using Windows or OS X anyway. It doesn't make much sense to reduce
available choices and functionality of a website in order to fit to a
newbie frame of mind.

Following the logic of this kind of design, why does Fedora have a
download page at all? Anyone can use google, at least anyone who
aspires to try and install a whole operating system on a computer. Why
bother offering anything on the website explicitly? ;-)

:-)
Marko