Re: FPL steps down: what's the real story?

On Sat, 2010-04-03 at 13:40 -0700, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> >> I believe its not a discussion if one or more parties have already
> >> made up their mind. ;)
> >>
> >> FWIW, AFAIK the kernel project and all of GNU also work through contributors. ;)
> > ----
> > GNU obviously is volunteer but I think that it's commonly reported now
> > that the majority of code being written for the Linux kernel is by
> > corporate paid people.
> >
> > http://www.osnews.com/story/22786/75_of_Linux_Code_Written_by_Paid_Developers
> >
> > Is this the 'kernel project' you are speaking about?
> >

> Yes I was, but I guess when it started out it was primarily volunteers
> contributing?
----
if you mean the original kernel, it was written by Linus Torvalds ;-)

Red Hat and others have employed people to work on the kernel for many
years now. Nothing new here except that as kernel development became
more organized and the sheer length of the code has increased
dramatically, it became a place where the casual participant became less
relevant.

In essence, it becomes really difficult to calculate the amount of
corporate contribution to any of the projects code base because all of
the code contributions come from people who get their paychecks from
somewhere.

Craig

believed to be clean.